Safe Sport Manager, Alberta Gymnastics Federation
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Safe Sport Manager will oversee in the Alberta Gymnastics Federation’s (AGF) Safe Sport Framework and the promotion of a safe environment for all participants in the sport of gymnastics. This framework includes policies, procedures, education, resources, and advocacy with respect to screening, conduct, reporting, privacy, risk management, inclusion, concussion awareness and protocols, anti-doping, and health and safety. The Safe Sport Manager will work with all AGF stakeholders, including staff, Board members, provincial/territorial organizations (PTOs), clubs, and external partners including GymCan to implement and follow the AGF framework. This is a full-time position, anticipated to begin in February of 2019.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Collaborate with the AGF staff and board of directors to advocate for and promote a safe sport environment for Alberta gymnastics by creating a positive, athlete-centered environment;
- Play a lead role in the overall evaluation of the implementation plan for safeguarding and protecting all AGF members;
- Provide advice and support to clubs and members in support of their implementation of policies and procedures that safeguard and promote the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk, and minimize organizational risk;
- In conjunction with the appropriate AGF staff and/or Board members, play a lead role in developing, maintaining, and reviewing the AGF Safe Sport framework; including the review, maintenance, and updating of policies and procedures with respect to Safe Sport;
- Consult with legal counsel as required to resolve difficult legal compliance issues and maintain detailed records of legal advice and legal costs;
- Interpret AGF policies and procedures, with advice from legal advisors and in consultation with the President/CEO;
- In collaboration with the President/CEO, clubs and members, respond to direct compliance issues (child protection, poor practices, etc.) through appropriate channels for investigation and resolution;
- Ensure that proper data collection and internal record keeping is maintained for all issues/situations;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of current risk management procedures, including but not limited to the complaint process and accountability (e.g. employment recruitment, retention strategies, etc.) with clubs and members;
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to maintain, update, and implement the education, screening requirements and additional training resources for AGF members in various roles as they pertain to Safe Sport;
- Participate as the staff resource on the AGF SafeSport Sub-Committee;
- Liaise with other organizations regarding SafeSport initiatives (including but not limited to, GymCan, Safe Sport International, Coaching Association of Canada);
- Represent the organization at external meetings related to SafeSport.
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant work experience in areas such as social work, psychology, human resources management, kinesiology or education;
- Experience in child/athlete advocacy and protection;
- Experience in the sport, not-for-profit and/or child development sector(s);
- Additional assets would include; Database management experience, basic proficiency in MS office applications, along with a basic understanding of Alberta workplace health, safety, and privacy legislation;
- A combination of related qualifications and experience may be considered.
Additionally, the candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills with experience working in complex workplaces with many key stakeholders. Understanding the various software (Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Adobe, etc.) is also an asset.
The Alberta Gymnastics Federation offers a positive and safe work environment, flexible hours and competitive wages.
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm, Friday, February 7, 2020. Start date is negotiable.
Please email your resume with cover letter and references in confidence to:
Attention: S. F. Hayes
No phone calls, please
Only successful candidates will be contacted.