An Overview of the AGF Insurance Program
Request an insurance certificate
Certificates of Insurance provide evidence of coverage to companies and individuals that request to be named on the policy as additional insureds. If you have any questions please contact Adam Thomson 403-209-5447 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to Request a Certificate
We provide member clubs with a solid insurance package. Not only is it a perk, insurance is a requirement. This comprehensive package protects your club and its members (directors and representatives of the AGF, coaches, volunteers, and athletes).
Please note that for the 2017-2018 season (Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring) that following fees will be applied
- Individuals registered with AGF in the Developmental and Gymnastics For All Streams will be required to pay a $5.60 insurance fee.
- Athletes registered with AGF in the Provincial and National Streams will be required to pay a $7.50 insurance fee.
Your insurance package:
Your package, through Toole Peet and Co., is made up of three components:
1. Comprehensive General Liability Policy, the primary purpose of this insurance is to protect the member clubs against the consequences of their negligence, alleged or otherwise, resulting in either or both bodily injury or property damage to a third party both, in terms of litigation costs and the potential of damages awarded.
The concept of negligence is what determines the degree to which a member club can be held liable.
Negligence is further determined by answering the following questions:
Was there a duty of care owed by the member club?
Duty of care can be defined as “a legal obligation which is imposed on an individual requiring adherence to a tandsard of reasonable care while performing any acts that could foreseeable harm other”
- Was there a failure on behalf of the member club to provide that duty of care?
- Did that failure lead to the bodily injury or property damage of a third party?
In the event that the negligence of the member club is proven, the current insurance program provides a total of 10 million dollars (a $5 million primary Comprehensive liability policy plus a separate $5 million Excess liability policy) worth of protection for these litigation and settlement costs.
2. Sports Accident Policy, which provides cash payment for specific types of injuries. Costs such as ambulance charges, and immediate “out of pocket” expenses related to an injury may also be provided through this coverage.
In conjunction with the general liability policy, the Alberta Gymnastics Federation provides a sports accident package to pay benefits in the event of accident or injuries sustained by any of the participating members or any member club in the Alberta Gymnastics Federation while involved in a practice session or in competition.
Perhaps the greatest benefit of all is the fact that in the event of accident, whether or not the individual member club is at fault, an injured athlete will be indemnified by this insurance coverage for a variety of injuries.
It’s also important to know that employee based benefit packages and/or Alberta Health Care provisions would be treated as the primary coverage for these expenses. This program provides additional “top –up” coverage to these plans.
3. Club Directors and Officers Liability, which provides 1 million dollars worth of coverage for claims made against a board member for wrongful acts related to “corporate governance” activities while serving in their capacity as a Club board member. This will fund the defense and settlement if need be.
The central issue is ‘Standard of Care’; the measure applied to the decisions you make as part of your responsibility for managing the association on whose board you sit. You are expected to discharge your duties in good faith, and to the best of your ability, as governed by the considerations that a reasonable and prudent citizen would deem appropriate.
Unfortunately, assuming a leadership role also makes you responsible for the consequences of your actions and sometimes for those of your colleagues on the board. Any decision made by the board, jointly or singly, may come under scrutiny, especially in areas involving finances.
The responsibilities of an officer or director do not end with the fiduciary capacity. Anything done by a Director which is perceived to be in breach of duty or trust can be grounds for an action against the individual, or the Board as a whole.
Statically, the most common form of claims again not- for- profit boards come from employees and the related employment practices of the organization such as wrongful dismissal and employee based harassment allegations with third party libel/slander coming in second.
Even more daunting are allegations of misallocation or misuse of funds, sometimes leading to criminal charges, which can place a Director in the uncomfortable position of having the fund their own defense.
4. DAS Legal Advice Gymnastics Club Program: Beginning May 1, 2016 all member clubs are entitled to receive service from the DAS Canada Legal Advice Gymnastics Program, this program will provide your Board of Directors, club owners and general managers UNLIMITED access to legal advice from 8:00 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. Please contact AGF for the applicable information.
Making a claim:
Start your claim process by SUBMITTING YOUR CLAIM FORMS online
Download the claim forms from below and send them directly to the Tootle Peete Insurance.
Mr Neil H. Hogg
Toole Peet and Co
PO Box 4650, Station C
1135 -17 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2T 2R5
Office: 403-209-5428 or 1-888-83-Toole (86653)
Please note, your club may choose to purchase supplementary coverage through Toole Peet and Co. at a member rate. You may also wish to explore coverage for things like building contents, business interruption, or increasing Directors’ and Officers’ Liability.
To find out more about the application process, please refer to your AGF Communications Binder and our Insurance Bulletin.
Still have questions? Read through AGF's FAQ section of the Insurance Bulletin or contact Toole Peet for more information.